The first little meal I had on my first trip to Spain was a plate of small toasts with piquillo peppers, anchovies and black olives. I thought, "This would be great on spaghetti!" (You can take the Sicilian-American to Spain but you can't…) Viva Spanish Spaghetti, one of my new faves.
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound whole wheat spaghetti
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 6 to 8 flat fillets anchovies or 3 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 8 to 10 jarred piquillo peppers or 4 roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 cup loosely packed, pitted black olives, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup slivered or sliced almonds, toasted, to pass around the table
- Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Manchego cheese for garnish
Yields: 4 servings
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add some salt and the spaghetti, and cook until just shy of al dente (it will continue to cook in the sauce for a minute or two). Drain, reserving a ladleful of the pasta cooking water.
While the pasta is working, heat the EVOO, 4 turns of the pan, in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and anchovies, and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the garlic is tender and the anchovies are melted, about 5 minutes.
In a food processor, puree the peppers then add the pepper puree into the garlic-anchovy oil. Warm through and season with pepper to taste.
Add the reserved pasta cooking water to the sauce. Add the olives, red pepper flakes and a handful of parsley (reserving some for garnish). Add the pasta to the pot and toss it in the sauce for a minute or two to allow the pasta to soak up the sauce. To serve, transfer to a serving platter or 4 shallow dinner bowls. Garnish with parsley, shaved manchego cheese and toasted almonds.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook