Spicy Mac and 3 Cheeses with Broccoli
A brand new mac and cheese for 2011!
- 4 cups broccolini florets, chopped broccoli rabe or broccoli florets
- 1 pound whole wheat penne, twists or elbows or brown rice pasta
- 2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots, very finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small Fresno chili pepper or red cherry pepper, seeded and very finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded yellow sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded aged Gouda cheese
- 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggaino cheese, freshly shredded
- A few sprigs fresh thyme, finely chopped
Yields: Serves 6
Bring a few inches of water to a boil. Salt water and parboil broccoli, rabe or broccolini 4-5 minutes. Drain and cold shock, then dry on kitchen towels.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta and undercook the pasta by about 2 minutes. Preheat oven to 425°F.
Heat a saucepot over medium heat with EVOO and butter. Sauté shallots, garlic and chilies 2-3 minutes then add flour and stir 1 minute. Whisk in milk and season sauce with salt and pepper, melt in cheddar and Gouda.
Combine pasta with broccoli, broccolini or rabe and the sauce, and transfer to a baking dish. Top with Parm cheese, sprinkle with fresh thyme and bake until brown and bubbly.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook