Recipe courtesy of Vegan Cooking for Carnivores by Roberto Martin. Foreword by Portia de Rossi. Afterword by Ellen DeGeneres.
- 30 small to medium white button or cremini mushrooms, gently rubbed with a kitchen towel until clean
- 18-ounce package sliced button mushrooms
- 2 Field Roast Italian Sausages or other good-quality vegan sausage
- 1 tablespoon high-heat oil, such as safflower or grapeseed oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch fresh chives, minced
- 5 ounces vegan Monterey Jack or mozzarella cheese, grated (preferably Follow Your Heart brand)
Yields: 30 stuffed mushrooms
Preheat oven to 420°F.
Remove the stems from each mushroom and reserve them in a bowl. Using a small melon baller, gently scoop out some of the center of each mushroom to increase its capacity. Reserve the trimmings, with the stems, in the bowl.
Roughly chop the vegan sausage and pulse it in the food processor until ground. Add the sliced mushrooms and the reserved stems and trimmings, and pulse with the sausage until the mushrooms are minced.
Heat a large, nonstick sauté pan over medium heat, add the oil and wait until it shimmers. Add the mushroom-sausage mixture and sauté until the mushroom liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms are lightly browned. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl and allow it to cool.
Stir in the minced chives and vegan Monterey Jack or mozzarella. Fill each mushroom cap with the mixture until full and slightly rounded on top. Bake for 20 minutes, or until hot. Serve immediately.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook