Super-Sized Pasta E Fagioli
The classic Italian pasta and bean soup gets super-sized! Make a big batch because leftovers only improve.
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus some for drizzling
- 4 thick slices pancetta, about half-inch thick each, diced
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 4 sprigs thyme with several sprigs on it
- 1 large fresh bay leaf or 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 medium onion, chunked
- 2 small carrots, chunked
- 4 rib celery, chunked
- 6 large cloves garlic, chopped
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 2 15-ounce cans butter beans, drained
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1/2 box rigatoni
- Grated Parmigiano or Romano cheese, for the table
- Crusty bread, for mopping
Yields: 4 BIG servings
Heat a deep pot over medium-high heat. Add EVOO and pancetta and brown pancetta bits lightly. Add herbs, bay leaf, vegetables and garlic and season with salt and pepper.
Add beans, tomatoes and stock to the pot, and raise heat to high.
Bring soup to a rapid bubble and add the pasta. Reduce the heat to medium and cook soup for 6-8 minutes or until pasta is cooked to al dente, stirring occasionally.
Remove the stems and bay leaf from soup and let it rest and begin to cool for a few minutes. Place the pot on a trivet on the table so the hot pot does not burn your table, then ladle soup into bowls and top with lots of cheese and another little drizzle of EVOO. Pass crusty bread for bowl mopping.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook