Swedish Sailor’s Beef and Potato Casserole
- 1 1/2 pounds bottom round steaks, 1/4-inch thick
- Salt and coarse black pepper
- Flour, for dredging
- 2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 large or 3 to 4 medium onions, sliced
- 1 large bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 pounds or 4 large starchy potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 bottle warm lager (light colored) beer
- Chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Chopped cornichons or bread-and-butter pickles
Preheat oven to 275ºF.
Season beef with salt and pepper on both sides and dredge with flour.
Heat a large skillet with 1 tablespoon EVOO and 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Brown half the meat on each side and remove to a plate. Add more oil and butter and repeat. Once all the meat is browned, add remaining butter, onions, bay, thyme, salt and pepper, and cook until light golden, 10-12 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
Arrange 1/3 potatoes in a casserole dish, season with salt and pepper and cover with half the onions and half of the meat. Repeat layers and top with remaining potatoes. Pour beer evenly over casserole and cover. Bake 2 1/2-3 hours until very tender.
Garnish with parsley and chopped pickles, and serve.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook