Vegetable Chili Mac
This crowd-pleaser is a vegetarian version of a supper-time staple!
- 4 poblano peppers
- 2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin, half a palmful
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon ancho (mild) or chipotle (hot) chili powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup Negro Modelo or other Mexican beer or 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 28-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 pound whole wheat or semolina macaroni or elbow pasta with lines
- A handful of cilantro, finely chopped, optional
- 1 cup smoked cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
Yields: Serves 4-6
Place peppers on a broiler pan and blacken the skins of the poblanos all over (leave oven door slightly ajar to allow steam to escape). Place blackened peppers in a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Cool to handle. Peel and seed peppers, and chop them.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for pasta.
Heat a heavy pot over medium-high heat with EVOO, a couple turns of the pan. Add onions and garlic, and soften 5 minutes. Add chopped poblanos and pintos to the pot, season with salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, paprika, chili powder and stir to combine. Add tomato paste, stir to incorporate then add beer or stock and tomatoes. Reduce heat to simmer.
Cook pasta to al dente, drain and toss with veggie chili and cilantro, if using. Place in a casserole dish and top with both cheeses. Place under broiler to melt and brown cheese
Garnish with scallions and serve.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook