Wes Martin's Mexican Tuna Cakes
When Improv Gourmet Wes Martin is using the ingredients you chose to make an extra recipe! Serves these Mexican Tuna Cakes with Wes' Honey Grapefruit Salsa, Lemony Ricotta and Romaine Slaw. Also check out Wes' Mocha-Marshmallow Milkshakes!
- 4 small cans Albacore tuna packed in water, well drained
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 8 Spanish olives, finely chopped
- ¼ cup celery leaves, finely chopped
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 1/2 to 1 whole Fresno or jalapeno chili, finely minced with seeds (use to your taste for heat level)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 large egg, plus 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon chile powder
- Coarse salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups finely crushed tortilla chips
- Honey-Grapefruit Salsa, for serving
- Lemony Ricotta, for serving
- Romaine Slaw, for serving
Yields: Serves 4
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a small baking sheet and set aside.
Put the tuna, celery and leaves, scallion, olives, chili pepper, and cilantro in a large bowl and season lightly with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, mayo, mustard, chile powder and a bit of salt and pepper together until combined. Pour the mixture over the tuna and fold with a rubber spatula until well combined, being careful not to break the tuna up too much. Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and fold until well combined.
Spread the tortilla chip crumbs out on a large plate. Divide the tuna mixture into 8 portions; using your hands, pack each portion into a cake about ½-inch thick and lay them in the tortilla crumbs. Gently press an even layer of crumbs on the top and sides of each tuna cake; using a spatula, transfer them to the greased baking sheet. Bake until the cakes are set and lightly golden, 15-20 minutes.
Serve the cakes with the Romaine Slaw on the side, and a dollop of Lemony Ricotta and Grapefruit Salsa over the top of each cake.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook