People's Top 10 Stories of the Year
We’re counting down People’s top 10 stories of the year, from Bristol Palin's dancing stint to Prince William & Kate Middleton's engagement! But which incredible story is number one? We're getting the scoop from the magazine's assistant managing editor, Kate Coyne!
10. Bristol Palin on Dancing With the Stars. "It really just captivated so many people!" Kate says. What about the people who got so heated about her success on the ABC series? "You need to remember that people vote for who they want to see dance, not necessarily who the best dancer is!"
9. MTV's Teen Mom "This is a show that really took off this year," Kate says. "And I think that it's basically the best birth control on television - if you have a teen son or a teen daughter they should be sitting down and watching this show."
8. Deadly Bullying. "Bullying reached epidemic levels this year, and obviously when you have someone like Tyler Clemente taking his life," she says of the Rutgers University student, "it's one of those situations where enough finally has to be enough, and people have begun putting their foot down, school districts are starting to take this more seriously and it's about time."
7. Chelsea Clinton's Wedding. "At the point that she got married, we had all been waiting for a fairy-tale wedding for quite some time," Kate says, noting that regardless of people's politics it was hard to not celebrate this happy occasion. "It was a beautiful setting, it was a beautiful dress, it was a beautiful day!"
6. Missing Child Kyron Horman. "It's been about six months now, and that story is terrifying on so many levels. First, because he was last seen at his school," Kate says. "It's heartbreaking and it's also infuriating because he has not been found, there don't seem to be any new leads."
5. The Chilean Miners. "I know three guys who you couldn't put in a rec-room for two days, they would be fighting!" Kate jokes "So for all of these men to survive for that long in such a small space? It's really unbelievable!"
4. Prince William and Kate Middleton's Engagement. Kate says this story has the double appeal of being both a fairy tale and showcasing a couple that anyone can relate to because of their close kinship. "They've been together for many, many years, they're best friends," Kate says. "They've lived together; they're a very modern royal couple!"
3. Earthquake in Haiti. "It's important to remember that it's only been a year, it hasn't been that much time. They still need so much help," she explains. "This is not a story that's over, it should not be forgotten."
2. Tiger Words & Elin Nordegren. "A little more than a year ago before Thanksgiving is when this story began, and when you look back on it, it almost looks quaint!" she says, "and then bit by bit, what started to unravel was unbelievable."
So what's number one? Click on the video for details, and click here for more information on all of these stories on People.com.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook