How to Drop Weight - By Eating!
Think you can't lose weight while enjoying your favorite foods? You can keep them on your plate and still slim down, according to Dr. Ian Smith, just watch the portion sizes. "People don't understand what the right size is," he says. "No one walks around with a measuring cup or a scale!" He wants to help folks lose weight who just can't make a diet work, so he's detailing portion sizes in his book, Eat: The Effortless Weight Loss Solution. It includes lists of food portions comparing veggies and other foods to familiar objects to help you visualize how much to eat. Get a few of his tips below:
Mayonnaise: Poker Chip or Quarter? "The appropriate size is a poker chip," Dr. Ian says, noting that's equivalent to a 50-calorie tablespoon serving. He says you can still enjoy a little mayo on your deli sandwiches, just order it on the side in restaurants to control the amount.
Salad Greens: Baseball or Softball? "The baseball size is the right size," he says. "The bad part is not the greens, it's the dressing they put on the greens."
Chicken Breast: Playing Cards or Sponge? Dr. Ian says in this case the deck of cards is the proper portion size.
Also on this show
- Jalapeño Popper Sliders
- Eva Longoria's Hot Artichoke Dip
- Eva Longoria's Recipe for Aunt Elsa's Devil's Food Cake
- Eva Longoria's Enchiladas Rojas
- Eva Longoria's Poached Chicken
- Eva Longoria's Mexican Rice
- Eva Longoria's Refried Beans
- In the Kitchen with Eva Longoria
- Mally's Makeover Takeover Bus Hits Phoenix
- "Every Day with Rachael Ray" Gets a Makeover!
- Rachael Ray's Lucky You Giveaway!
- Backstage Pass: Eva Longoria and Her Mom
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook